8 AAF Players make initial NFL 53 man rosters

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

8 AAF Players make initial NFL 53 man rosters

Post by MikeMitchell »

There were 83 Players from the AAF that came into this weekend with a shot at making the 53 man rosters.

As of this moment. 8 AAF players have made the NFL. There could be more that make practice squads today. There’s still the matter of waivers, so since the majority of these players are on the bottom end of rosters. Their spots are not entirely safe.

Here is the list of players from the AAF that have made the NFL as of press time.

QB-Garrett Gilbert-Browns
RB-D’Earnest Johnson- Browns
LS- Cole Mazza- Chargers
OL- Brandon Greene- Panthers
DL- Mike Purcell- Broncos
DB- De’Vante Busby- Broncos
DB- Kameron Kelly- Steelers
OL- Daniel Brunskill- 49ers

Update: Kicker Taylor Bertolet initially made the Jets 53 man roster, only to be predictably cut less than a day later.

Quarterbacks John Wolford, Logan Woodside and Luis Perez have been cut. They could be PS candidates.
(Update: Woodside signed on with The Titans practice squad.)

Defensive Lineman Karter Schult was cut by The Vikings. He could be a player that gets claimed on waivers tomorrow. He's 53 man roster worthy in my opinion.

Another surprise cut was Greg Ward with the Eagles. He may get another shot on the ps. Some quality players from The San Antonio Commanders were cut. Ward being one of them. Entering the weekend, There were 14 former Commanders in the NFL. Now there is one in De'Vante Bausby with The Broncos.

There are couple of ways that this relates to the XFL. For one thing, a good portion of the XFL teams front offices have former AAF personnel people employed. This includes the likes of Tony Softli (Seattle), Daryl Johnston Dallas), Dave Boller (Dallas), Robert Morris (Dallas), Randy Mueller (Houston), Will Lewis (Houston), John Peterson (New York), Chris Thompson (New York), Alan MacCracken (New York), Ronald Selesky (Tampa) and Josh Hinch (Tampa). Not to mention all the coaches that come directly from the AAF like Mike Riley, Tim Lewis and several others on every teams staff. These former AAF personnel have direct knowledge of all these players being cut.

The other interesting aspect to this is tracking the success of the AAF. Football players getting more opportunities is a success in it's own right. The AAF had over 400 players. 100 of them were signed to NFL 90 player rosters in total. The list is now down to 9. The original XFL had over 30 players that went on to have NFL careers. Most notably Tommy Maddox and Rod Smart but there was Kevin Swayne, Mike Furrey, Brendan Ayabandejo, Bennie Anderson, Corey Ivy, John Avery, Yo Murphy, Jose Cortez, Kevin Kaesviharn and several others who extended their pro playing careers in the 'big league'. Some players flourished in the CFL like current Tampa Bay Vipers assistant Jonathan Himebauch.

It will be interesting to see who many XFL players at the end of their 2020 season end up in the NFL.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeoNY
Head Coach

Re: 9 AAF Players make initial NFL 53 man rosters

Post by LeoNY »

A handful of former Alliance players got injured too. Like Josh Woodrum. Although he wouldn’t have made the 53 in Washington.

Does injuries correlate with practicing and playing from January through April? The players that sign with the NFL have played a full season of football and then jump right into camps almost immediately. Imagine if the AAF season ended in July.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

LeoNY wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:38 am A handful of former Alliance players got injured too. Like Josh Woodrum. Although he wouldn’t have made the 53 in Washington.

Does injuries correlate with practicing and playing from January through April? The players that sign with the NFL have played a full season of football and then jump right into camps almost immediately. Imagine if the AAF season ended in July.
It's an interesting point. I remember Kevin Swayne playing a full year of football straight. He played in the Arena league, The XFL and then with The New York Jets back in 2001. So he was 'in season' mode all year. He held up well but I can see how it can potentially be challenging. If any of the 400 plus AAF players that didn't make the NFL get drafted and sign contracts with the XFL. They will have some recovery time but it's been a busy year for them. I'll just cite a random AAF player.

DE Damontre Moore played a full season in the AAF with San Diego, and then signed with 49ers and spent the summer with them. If invited and drafted by the XFL. He would go through another camp and then play in the XFL season come February.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Bausby played eight games with the Eagles last year, so he's had a mostly full season already (especially the way Fangio rode him makes it more impressive that he made it)
LeoNY
Head Coach

Post by LeoNY »

Kicker Taylor Bertolet was cut by the Jets. So it’s eight AAF players at the moment. Claims have been made so NFL teams will have to cut players off of their 53 to make room for them. That’s how Bertolet didn’t get to see 24 hours.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Means Bertolet's on track for my Cotton Bowl revival :D

Having said that, Fry, Rose, and Novak were the best kickers in the league and should be higher on the league's radar come October.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: 8 AAF Players make initial NFL 53 man rosters

Post by MikeMitchell »

So the official AAF to NFL tally at the moment is 17. 8 on the active rosters. 9 on the practice squads. Out of the 400 plus players that played in the Alliance.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

I was going to add Keishawn Bierria to that list but then I remembered that it was Azeem Victor who played for the Apollos (now in the CFL), got my UW linebackers mixed up
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Current former AAF players on NFL practice squads.

Atlanta Legends DT Bijhon Jackson-Panthers
Arizona Hotshots LB Sione Teuhema-Panthers
Arizona Hotshots QB John Wolford- Rams
SD Fleet OL Jeremiah Kolone -Rams
SA Commanders QB Logan Woodside-Titans
SA Commanders DE Austin Larkin-Falcons
SA Commanders WR Greg Ward -Eagles
Birmingham Iron LB Aaron Adeoye -Ravens
Salt Lake Stallions LB Chris Odom- Redskins

Very surprising that Karter Schult did not make an NFL roster or practice squad. He was the best defensive player in the entire Alliance. I actually expected more AAF players to make the NFL. There are over 400 that didn't.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

If the Hawks bring Jacob Hollister up to the 53 on Monday (Dickson on IR and Dissly having a setback), I could see them bringing Wes Saxton back to the PS